“I’m amazing. Incredible. I’m a miracle, a dream come true. I’m marvelous. I’m beautiful. And guess what? SO ARE YOU.” I’m Amazing by Keb Mo
I think we’ve forgotten how magnificent we are. How magnificent life itself is. Really. Silly as that may sound, I’m afraid it’s true. Unfortunately, I see evidence everyday:
- Mindset of scarcity or lack (nothing is ever enough)
- Negative comments
- Making adverse assumptions about others’ intentions or motives
- Jealousies & prejudices
Perhaps you’ve seen it too. I know in my heart, this is not what any of us want. So, let’s work on a shift. A shift in our focus of attention. See if this makes sense….
Have you ever noticed that you will always see what you are expecting to see? When we expect someone to behave in a certain way – for example, my mate to behave impatiently – we will almost certainly be presented with that behavior. It’s not that other behaviors have not also presented themselves. We may not have been watching for those other behaviors and we miss them or ignore them.
Whatever you go looking for, you’re bound to find. If you want to continue giving yourself reasons to doubt the goodness of others, just keep looking for when others disappoint you or behave unreliably. Or perhaps you’re ready for a shift to rediscover our magnificence. And life’s magificence. I’m ready too!
“There’s nothing like looking if you want to find something.” from The Hobbit
What would you like to find today? Joy? Peace-of-mind? Compassion? Beauty? Then look for it! Look in nature, on a child’s face, in conversation with a friend, through exercise, meditation, prayer. And here’s the key. EXPECT to find it. BELIEVE you will find that which you seek. We reap what we sow, right? If I sow tomato seeds, I’ll reap tomato plants. If I sow the belief that what I want is impossible, I’ll reap something less than what I want. Make sense?
Now, here’s the million dollar question, HOW?? How do I shift my focus of attention? How do I discover what’s magnificent in my overscheduled, under-fulfilled life? How do I find belief in something that, well, I’m not sure I believe in? These questions are real – I hear you. There are many different answers and I won’t pretend to know your answer. I offer you these ideas; places to begin you’re looking:
- Download my free e-booklet titled, Life by Design, for an exercise to help you connect with the values and qualities that are most important for you to have in your life. Getting clear about what you want more of is a good starting place.
- Download this reminder card, tape it to your mirror or keyboard and ask yourself the questions there every day. Slowly shift your focus of attention…
- Want more than that? Contact me for more information about coaching groups and 1-on-1 coaching: 610.287.2989
And keep looking!! I promise you, magnificence is there, waiting to be discovered!